We said we would never do it, but we are building (just) outside of City limits. Something about building a modern home with sleek angles in an old subdivision of brick ranchers was too much to pass up. Plus, it’s been a blast building a house for a growing family of professional musicians. This includes getting to design a warm, cozy and modern rehearsal/studio space.
The house is situated perfectly south facing with ample porch overhangs to bring in wonderful light and maximize passive heating and cooling strategies. Fun design features include opposing shed roof lines to make a striking exterior, a sunken living room, hidden reading nooks, wood beams, and some interesting built-in cabinets.
- HERS Score: TBD
- Reduced HVAC equipment due to small heating and cooling load (one two-ton heat pump for top two floors, and small mini split basement)
- 2 x 6 exterior walls with dense pack cellulose, exterior envelope wrapped in 1” type II EPS foam
- Numerous innovative air sealing details
- Serious Triple Pane Windows
- Metal reflective roof
- Energy Star Appliances
- Navien instant gas hot water heater
- Sq. Feet:
- Walkscore Link